Here are the questions I used to create a survey on http://freeonlinesurveys.com/
- What is your favorite horror film? What is it you about it you like?
- What frightens you in a horror if anything and why?
- What would you expect to happen in a horror (themes)?
- What draws you into going to see a horror film?
- What kind of locations would you expect to see in a horror film?
- What would you expect the antagonist to look like?
- Should the antagonist be male or female?
- If you could make a horror film what would it be about?
- What colors would expect to see on a Horror Print (Poster or Magazine)?
- Would you prefer the antagonist or the protagonist (victim) on the film prints?
I then posted a link to the survey to my Facebook and Twitter accounts. The people who answered my questionnaire will be around my age and in the target audience of 15-24.
After a day I received 15 responses, here are some of the results:

My audience gave mix responses to what draws them into going to see a horror. They include the reviews to entice people through my trailer I could use inter titles for example saying "breath-taking" the daily mail. I could do the same on the prints, on my poster I could quote my magazine saying "terrifying." creating synergy between the two.
Others were persuaded into horror by their friends so to take advantage I will use social networking links and logos on my products so the word spreads allowing the audience to expand and grow. Other opinions included originality so I must illustrate a strong unique selling point in my product. Emotion and story line I must take great care into writing my narrative that it is interesting I will do this by asking people as I plan what they think of it.
11 of the 15 audience member mentioned the location should be abandoned. Houses were the most common location mentioned although haunted houses were mentioned they would be hard to come by as I would have to use a large old country house which I do not have at my disposal and would be impractical trying to get my cast up and down there. For a house I could use my own this would be simplistic option or a friends house depending which would be best to portray conventions of horrors.
Another location I could use is streets and alleyways as they are easy to come by and I could film at night when not many people would be about creating dark moods and the sense of complete isolation. Graveyards and the woods were mentioned, which I could use to for a few of the shots e.g. zooming in a grave stones to signify death and to create suspense. Although I would probably not use them for the whole the narrative as it would make my trailer look too cliche.
My audience showed an overwhelming preference for a male antagonist; 80 per cent voting for a male antagonist aside 20 per cent opting for a male antagonist. This may be because males are seen as more threatening and dangerous because of their masculinity. I agree with the choice of my audience and for my film I plan to use a male antagonist.
Together the audience research paints the picture of a tall, skinny, dark haired but pale man . Other descriptions included long hair and facial hair to make him look scruffy and rugged signifying a dodgy looking character who you would avoid at all cost if you saw him on the streets as he looks psychologically unstable. I would have to find a male aged 15-24 that fitted the first criteria and create the second criteria through costume and makeup.
What was interesting as with most antagonist in horrors they have masks yet there was only one mention of a mask perhaps has it been multi choice more people would of vouched for a masked antagonist. Although maybe the audience want to feel a connection with the antagonist as well as the victims. Although the audience agrees the antagonist should be mysterious therefore I am unlikely to show his face in no more than 3 shots I am likely to show a glimpse of the antagonist face at the end of the trailer to climax the tension and draw audiences into the film.
The most popular color choice was black, the audience preferred dark colors to signify the evil and mystery surrounding the film. An alternate choice I could use is blue which would go against the stereotypical horror conventions and would give my horror I unique selling point. However I my theme is most likely to centered around red as I believe it is the most eye-catching color. Red was the second most popular and it connotes the blood and gore I want to connote in my film.
I dismissed the results saying both as I want my prints to be simplistic and bold rather than cluttering the page trying to cram two character in between sell lines. If I redid the survey I would have this question as a closed multi choice answer. As a result I can only distinguish 7 people said they would prefer the antagonist on the prints in comparison than the 3 who said protagonist. The rest were undecided. Therefore I am likely to use the antagonist for my prints because as my audience said the distinctiveness of the antagonist is more enticing than a victim who is an everyday young female.




No comments:
Post a Comment